Who Is It For?
Personalised Employment Pass a unique and the only self-sponsored work pass category available for foreigners to work in Singapore. There is no requirement during the application for the applicant to have a job or an employer to sponsor the application. Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is only issued once for each applicant and is valid for 3 years, and it is non-renewable. The requirements and approval criteria is strict and available mainly to highly talented, high income and uniquely skilled foreign professionals.
Key Features of Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
- Personalised EP is issued only for 3 years and it is non-renewable. Before the expiry date, the PEP must apply for another type of work pass such as the EP;
- PEP holders are not allowed to start his own business in Singapore;
- PEP holders need to be continuous employed during the PEP period and must notify the Ministry of Manpower each time he or she changes an employer;
- If the PEP holders fails to find another employment for more than 6 months after leaving an employer, the PEP pass must be cancelled and the foreigner must leave the country.
- PEP holders are not tied to any single employer: PEP holders have more flexibility of changing employers and industry sectors;
- PEP holders can sponsor their legal spouse and children younger than 21 years for dependent pass status and other family members for long term visit passes;
- PEP holders are more attractive to employers as some employers are reluctant to hire foreigners because of the cumbersome process of getting work pass approved. PEP holders are independent employment pass holders and employers need not worry about getting any work pass approval;
- This type of work pass has a very high salary threshold: 18,000 SGD for those who apply for the first time and 12,000 SGD for those who upgrade to the PEP from P1.
Eligibility Criteria and Requirements
- Salary criterion: if you are an executive who currently works abroad, your last monthly salary has to be no less than 18,000 SGD; if you currently hold the P1 Employment Pass, you can upgrade to PEP provided that your monthly income is no less than 12,000 SGD.
- Applicant must have a degree from a well-established and reputable educational institution.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate his/her prominent employment history and prove 3-5 years of professional expertise in the relevant field. Skills the foreigner is going to contribute must be in demand in growing sectors of the Singapore economy.
The following link provides the latest updates on eligibility criteria: